Saturday, December 31, 2011

Easing Into It

Yesterday evening I actually started knitting the pattern I'm creating. During the day, in addition to a trip to the library and grocery store -- and some just plain goofing off -- Carl and I talked about the button band he wants, the number of cables he likes, and the kind of ribbing that looks best with this yarn. Going back to my first source, Knitwear Design Workshop, I refigured the sleeve calculations; I'm not entirely sure which is correct, but the calculations from KDW look better to me (I saved the other ones just in case). I figured out that because this is a cardigan and because it will have a band all around the neck, I don't need to (dare I say, shouldn't?) bind off stitches for the back of the neck, as long as I do a 3-needle bind-off.

Toward the end of the afternoon, I started working on the v-neck that Carl wants. But when I started calculating, I couldn't visualize what the numbers were telling me. It was looking to me like I was going to choke the man. And while there are times when I feel like throttling him, I don't want to do it with a sweater, especially not one I will have put so much work into.

So, instead of sitting at my desk staring at my calculator and notes, I decided to pick up the needles and yarn. Most of the books and patterns suggest starting with the back because it will be easier to work out gauge issues and get into the rhythm of the pattern. Never one to take the easy way out, I decided to start with the front, where my trouble is.
The first few inches, with a 1.5" band to come.

Definitely the right decision. I have had to rip out the first few inches four times now, but I think I have finally made the right adjustments to my calculations. There were two things I wasn't taking into account. First, cables tighten up the gauge more than I thought, despite what my cable gauge swatch says. Second, my husband has a bit more ... um ... padding in front than I realized when I measured him. I think I measured all around that part, but I didn't actually include it. So, I've now added a few inches around and it finally looks like the front will work. More ease, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment